Friday, May 2, 2014

| P A T T E R N | M I X I N G |

This is my very first fashion post/blog and I am excited to be sharing something that I absolutely love:
F . . . . . . . . A . . . . . . . . S . . . . . . . . H . . . . . . . . I . . . . . . . . O . . . . . . . . N . . . . . . . . . ! !

Today I want to focus on something that I think adds some fun and color into life, and that is pattern mixing! And I'm not talking about how you dressed yourself in third grade with the overload of mismatched outfits ;) This is a step up from that!

First of all, what is pattern mixing and how do you put it all together? Pattern mixing is a concept that was covered in my home décor class this past week; but it can easily be applied to fashion as well. There is a basic rule to go by: 60/30/10. Within this rule, you want to choose colors that will compliment and coordinate well. Here's an example:
 

What is the 60%? 30%? 10%?

Notice how the colors in the skirt can be seen in the shirt, belt, and heels as well. The designer chose to put floral and stripes together..and guess what?! It works!! I love the simple and pleasing overall look.

Here are a couple more looks that incorporate pattern mixing and the 60/30/10 rule: 






TIP: "Try three patterns in a range of scales, such as a narrow stripe, a midsize geometric, and a bold floral."-Better Homes & Gardens

Thanks for stopping by <3

XOXO, Breanna

No comments:

Post a Comment